Minutes of the ICOLD Committee on Cost Savings
in Dam Design (V) on June 26th 2007
75 th Annual ICOLD Meeting organized in St. Petersburg, 24-29 June 2007, was focused on the problems of safety and management of dams and reservoirs (monitoring and maintenance, risks analysis, management of dams and reservoirs during the high floods, environmental constraints, regulations for construction and operation of dams with concrete examples in the different countries, ...). The participants agree on many points but there are also some different points of view on some subjects. The VNCOLD representative, Mr. M. Ho Ta Khanh, took part in the ICOLD Committee on Cost Savings in Dam Design chaired by Mr. F. Lampérière.
VNCOLD & USSD Delegates, Mr. M. Ho Ta Khanh (right) & Mr. K. Steele (left)
at the 75th ICOLD Annual Meeting.
ICOLD Committee on Cost Savings in Dam Design (V)
Minutes of Meeting held in St Petersburg on June 26th 2007
Where present: Committee Members:
France F. LEMPERIERE email@example.com Chairman
Brasil B.P. MACHADO firstname.lastname@example.org
Iran B. HAZRATI email@example.com
India R.K. VISHNOI firstname.lastname@example.org
Japan M. KUSUMI email@example.com
Russia A. FINK firstname.lastname@example.org
Vietnam M. HO TA KHANH email@example.com
Burkina Faso Adama NOMBRE firstname.lastname@example.org
Canada A. BIGRAS email@example.com
China ZOU Lichun firstname.lastname@example.org
France C. BESSIERE email@example.com
U.K. P. MASON firstname.lastname@example.org
Algeria A. OUAMANE
1) The adapted list of the Committee Members is annexed.
2) About half of the bulletin has been drafted by Mr Machado (Chapter 3.1 Lay Out foundations, Concrete gravity dams, Rockfill dams), Mr Mason (Chapter 2) and F. Lempérière (Introduction, Spillways, river control during construction, sedimentation). The Chapter 3.1 (High dams) is thus completed (except arch dams).
It is foreseen that:
Mr Machado will draft the “arch dams” Item after getting data and comments from China, Japan and Iran.
Mr Machado will draft the chapter 3.3: dams upgrading.
F. Lempérière will draft the chapter 3.2: other dams (with the cooperation of Mr. Nombre for smaller dams).
Items may be added to this chapter for dams to be built in very specific conditions such as dams at sea (tidal plants) or dams in very cold conditions (with data and comments from Russia).
F. Lempérière will draft the chapter 4: Conclusion.
Appendices may be foreseen for developing some specific points (such new solutions for spillways).
The following schedule of works is agreed upon:
- Up to end of October 2007, each member will prepare comments and possibly additional data upon drafts already prepared and also upon future items.
He may choose the items where he feels to be the most useful and require the help from experts of the member country. This stage of cooperation is essential for the best efficiency of our bulletin. The comments may be sent directly to MM. Machado and Mason for their drafts with copy to F. Lempérière.
- The drafts of the bulletin should be completed before 31st March 2008 in order that all the Committee Members may give comments before or during the next meeting to be held in Sofia at the very beginning of June 2008.
- The meeting of Sofia will be very important for discussing the whole draft.
- The final text will be adjusted during the second half of 2008 in order to be sent to all the National Committees beginning of 2009 for final approval during the Executive Meeting mid 2009 in Brazil.
3) Final title of the Bulletin
The title of the Committee (and of the Question 84 in Barcelona) has been sometimes misunderstood as referring to the cost of design.
The Bulletin 73 referred to savings in dam construction, the Bulletin 83 to cost impact on future dams design.
The title of the new bulletin could be simply “Cost Savings in Dams”.
4) Discussion on proposed drafts
- The draft of Chapter 2 was not discussed at length as Dr P. Mason, the author, could not be present. Direct comments may be sent to him and, anyway, this chapter will be discussed in Sofia next June. Two points have however been discussed in St Petersburg.
The usefulness of listing set ideas which are questionable.
The possibility and usefulness of cost savings during various stages: design and surveys, site organization, preliminary works, main works, …
Within the drafts to be discussed:
- For rockfill dams, additions could be made for gravel dams with concrete face, possibility of concrete heightening on top of the dam, for including concrete cofferdams within the dam. Comments could also be added for rockfill dams with bituminous core*.
- Sedimentation recommendations for management of reservoirs could be added.
- New solutions for spillways were discussed and some could be detailed in appendices. Additions could be made for stepped spillways.
5) The term of the Committee is 2 years (2006-2008)
It seems necessary to ask for an extension of one year for completing the present Bulletin.
Suggestions for further activity of the Committee beyond the present Bulletin are welcome before the Sofia meeting.