GUIDELINE ON WATER USER ORGANIZATION ESTABLISHMENT
(Used for facilitator/guide)
Nguyen Xuan Tiep
A. THE CONTENTS THAT FACILITATOR/NEEDS TO KNOW
1. Regarding irrigation systems/schemes:
Understandings about the structure, investment, construction and technical qualifications of irrigation systems (multi-purpose hydraulic works, big capital for investment, systematic features, involvement of water users in investment, construction and management etc.).
2. Regarding water source:
Water allocations according to time, space have caused the difficulties in water uses (shortage, redundancy of water, food, water logging...), badly impacted on ecosystems.
3. Regarding water use and its effectiveness.
- Water use for irrigated agriculture.
- Water use for domestic.
- Water use for economic development.
4. Regarding management organization:
- State-owned irrigation and drainage enterprises
- Organizations of beneficiaries (water user organizations/groups).
- These two types of organization should be linked together.
- Role of branch, levels of authorities
5. Regarding beneficiaries:
- The benefits from hydraulic works
- Financial contribution in the investment and management of hydraulic works,
- May be damage hydraulic works, save or waste water
- Pay irrigation fees.
6. Regarding related policies and mechanisms
Facilitator/Instructor needs to know policies, mechanisms on PIM/IMT and related policies (investment, construction, management, especially policies on irrigation fee, finance for PIM activities)
7. Regarding contents and requirements for farmers’ participation in
irrigation management (PIM):
- The concept and need of participation.
- The content of participation (participation in planning, designing, investing, constructing and managing).
- Conditions for participations.
Please see in much detail (PDF; 752 KB)